Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Vickery Park

Courtesy of www.clker.com
Before there was Six Flags there was Vickery Amusement Park. Built sometime in the late 40's besides the State Fair is was about the only place go except for an occasional carnival or circus that would come close by.

If I remember right it was Vickery Amusement Park where our 6th grade class decided to go for our graduation outing. The park had a swimming pool, minature golf course, amusement park rides and some amusement park games. The only one I remember is the one with the floating ducks that you paid a nickel. to pick one out of the water to see if you won a prize. I never did.

Also Vickery if I remember correctly was one of the only places that was considered "wet" and had several bars.  Before the Central Expressway was completed we'd have to drive through the area to get to downtown Dallas. My dad would always tell us to be careful going through that area.

I don't think Vickery Amusement Park is still there. I noticed on the internet when you call up Vickery Park you get pictures of a bar. I guess that fits pretty well with the area I once knew as Vickery.

No comments:

Post a Comment